OGDEN & SALT LAKE CITY FAMILY LAW ATTORNEY
Protecting Yourself Legally
Orders of protection are designed to stop harassment and violent behavior from occurring. While these orders cannot stop someone from hurting you, the order of protection does permit you to have the person arrested if they violate the order of protection. If you are dealing with divorce and involved in a domestic violence case, the order of protection can help to protect you and your children from additional abuse. With an order of protection, a judge can order the following:
- Stop abuse to their former partner and children
- Tell a former partner to stay away from the home, workplace and family of their victim
- Stop the abuser from contacting the victim via phone calls, SMS messaging, emails, mail, or through other people
- Stop the abuser from seeing the children and staying away from children including at their school, daycare or when they are with sitters
These matters can become complicated when you start dealing with custody issues and child support. It is important to have a skilled attorney at your side to present the information clearly and stop additional harassment and abuse.
Can an Order of Protection Help?
Some people dispute Orders of Protection from being effective as they cannot physically stop someone from harming and harassing their victim. However, an order of protection does give you police protection. When you call, the police are likely to take your call seriously and they can arrest your former partner if they violate the Order of Protection.
The more information you have to submit against your former partner abusing and harassing you, the better it is for your case. Gather as much evidence as you can to show the judge what has occurred. You will need to include hospital and doctor reports, detailed photographs of injuries and damage, police reports, statements from witnesses, and your statement.
Our job is to fight for your safety and protection. Working with our attorneys can help you obtain an Order of Protection so you can stay safe. Protection orders can include several different provisions such as:
- No contact provision
- Peaceful contact provision
- Stay away provision
- Move out provision
- Firearms provision
- Counseling provision
Professional Help for Domestic Violence
Domestic violence is one of the most challenging issues you can face. If you are concerned for your safety or the safety of your children, contact us immediately. We can work hard to help you obtain the Orders of Protection and advocate on your behalf.
Why choose Ammon Nelson Law, PLLC?
- We have almost a decade of family law experience.
- Nominated and awarded “New Parental Defender of the Year” in 2018
- We are in Good Standing at Avvo
- We have a 5 Star Rating on Google
- We are devoted and compassionate legal advocates.
- Wrote “Utah Guide to Divorce”
For your Ogden or Salt Lake City family law needs, contact us today and schedule a consultation