Protecting Your Financial Interests Since 2011: 801.337.4355
Family finances have significantly changed over the last decade with new industries bringing higher income levels and shifts in the primary wage earners. Spousal support (also called alimony) is recommended when one spouse was deemed the primary wage earner. How long the ex spouse may help support the other is up to the judge’s discretion. Whether you find yourself being the spouse who pays, or the one who receives support, it is important to ensure your financial interests are protected. Working with Ammon Nelson Law, PLLC allows clients to have proper representation and fair results under the law.
Alimony in Utah Qualifications
Our Ogden and Salt Lake City spousal support attorneys work with the courts to ensure the financial information needed is filed in a timely manner, and without mistakes or inaccuracies. When considering alimony requests, the judge will need to evaluate the following:
- Financial situation and needs of supported spouse
- Age and health of both parties
- Recipients earning capacity and ability to produce income, including a review of the recipient who lost work experience or skills related to parental responsibilities
- Length of marriage
- Whether the recipient is a custodial parents of a child who requires child support
- Paying spouse’s ability to pay support while maintaining financial independence
- Need of recipient spouse to obtain additional education or training to become self-sufficient
- Whether the recipient directly contributed to the income in the paying spouse’s income by assisting in paying for educational expenses or job training costs during the marriage
There are additional factors a judge will review as they make their decision. If there is serious concern over past marital misconduct that lead to the breakdown of the marital relationship, it will be reviewed by the judge. It is important to note that “fault” cannot be used to punish a spouse with a higher alimony obligation. Judges will base support on correct and accurate information, which is why it pays to hire a good attorney experienced in spousal support cases.
Modification, Termination & Enforcement of Spousal Support
Ammon Nelson Law fights for fairness when it comes to spousal support. We review the facts to help determine if the court has been mistreating you in the past in relation to your existing court order. Our family law firm will focus on helping clients to modify maintenance or terminate orders if needed.
We are here to provide litigation services as needed for enforcement of existing orders for spousal maintenance.
Why choose Ammon Nelson Law, PLLC?
- We have almost a decade of family law experience.
- Nominated and awarded “New Parental Defender of the Year” in 2018
- We are in Good Standing at Avvo
- We have a 5 Star Rating on Google
- We are devoted and compassionate legal advocates.
- Wrote “Utah Guide to Divorce”
For your Ogden or Salt Lake City family law needs, contact us today and schedule a consultation